Sunday 9 January 2011

Chapter 64 - Just Wishes - Gen 7


"So, do all of my nephews kids look like you?"
"What do you mean -  the hair??" I asked confused
"Yes, and how many of you are there now, I've lost count?"
"There are ten of us." I told him
"Ten - boy they do surprise me!!"
"There are only two of us with Dads hair - me and Fletcher"
"Does Fletcher work at the hospital by any chance"
"Yes, he does actually - he's a Medical Intern"
"I thought so, I have seen him then!!"
"Tell me about the rest of your brothers and sister"
"What do you want to know?"
"Anything"
This felt really strange, talking to a man who was so obviously family - and he was asking me questions when he must see Dad at work every day, and Eider for that matter!!.
"Well, its hard to know where to start really - Four have my moms hair, two have dads, two have Grandad Damens hair, One has Grandma Lilacs hair and Flora my twin sister has white hair like Dawn, whoever Dawn is" I said not really knowing what else I could tell him.
"Dawn is my sister, she got that from my Grandad Mikie."
"Six boys and four girls." I added
"Any married - have kids?"
"Foster and Felix are married, Fletcher is engaged and Felix's wife has just had a little boy"
"What about you?" he asked
"Me - I'm unattached and living at home still"
"You surprise me a pretty girl Like you!!"
"Ooooooohh I am not interested in all that just yet - I'm a bit of a workaholic you see, my career is more important to me at the moment!!"
"Anyway, what's with all the questions - you must see my dad and Uncle Eider at work everyday, why haven't you asked them."
"I do see your Dad every day, to be honest, we have not got on for years, we only speak when it is work related - other than that we dont talk at all and just avoid each other - and with Eider it is just the same."
"Do you speak to any of your family???"
"Not really, me and Dana speak occasionally, but not often"
"I work with Dana and Moe is my boss and I did not even know you existed until I started talking to you in online chat."
"That would not surprise me at all!!"
"Why Dean - Why are you so ...... alienated from the family??"
"That - you don't want to or need to know about!!"
"But I do want to know"
"I assure you, you would hate me for telling you, you have to promise me one thing though"
"What?"
"Promise me - you will not mension my name, nobody is to know you and I have been speaking, you have not seen me, you have not spoken to me and you definately don't know me!!"
"Why - it just does not make any sense"
"Trust me - you parents and Grandparents - would not take too kindly to you speaking to me - and they must never know!!!!!  Promise me - its for your own sake as much as theirs!!!!"
Dean made me promise, made his excuses then left me standing there on the library steps, more confused than ever!!!  What on earth could he have done for the whole family to alienate him in this way!!!!  To me he seemed a kind and gentle man, very sad behind  his eyes, I could see he was so miserable.
Remembering suddenly, why I had come to the library in the first place, I wandered inside and found the book I had wanted to read, I sat down, trying to read it, reading the words but they just were not registering, I could not concerntrate, my mind kept wandering back to Dean.  I was getting hungry, so I gave up on the book and went home to eat and sleep.
The next morning - I still could not get Dean off my mind.  What was stopping me from just having it straight out with Mom and Dad - someone had to tell me what the big secret was.  But I had promised Dean and something told me by the way he had pleaded with me and made me promise - I could do more damage than good just speaking his name - I remember how my Mom had reacted that once I asked her about him.  I would just have to leave well alone!!!
My phone started ringing - I answered without checking who it was.
"My favourite vampire - get your but over here - its the weekend - remember"
"Tiber!! - so it is the weekend - I promised to hang out with you didn't I!!"
"Yes, you did - tell me you had forgotten!!" he said flatley
"Yes, No, Not exactly, there has been so much going on lately"
"Well are you coming or not??" Tiber asked
"Give me  half an hour and I'll be there!!"
I had forgotten I had promised Tiber I would hang out with him at the weekend.  I was not really in the mood, but it was probably what I needed, Tiber was a good mate, and I know he would distract me for the rest of the day.

"So, what has been keeping you so preoccupied - that you forget about me!!??"  he asked me as soon as I arrived.
"Oh, just stuff - you know work and family - nothing you would be interested in really"
"Well, you know I am always here if you want to offload a little"
"I know you are , thanks - your a good mate!!"  I was already feeling better "So, come on then fill me in on all your gossip - what have you been doing with yourself since I last saw you??"
We spent quite a while, talking, gossiping and giggling, all my earlier worries vanished for a while.
"Sit your but down, Ill make us something to eat, then we can decide what we are going to do with the rest of the day"
This always made me laugh, humans who are very comfortable around vampires, always forget that vampires don't eat food.  So I found myself sat eating a plate of Autumn salad that I did not really want to be eating.
"Have you seen the new dance club that has opened up next to the Bridgemore??"
"No, I haven't noticed it"
"I was just wandering if you had been there yet - but obviously not"
I laughed  "Me have time to go out, with my job - I wished!!"
"Your not on call this weekend are you?"
"No, I have the whole weekend to myself for a change!!"
"Well, do you fancy going later, it opens at five"
"You - wanting to go to a club???"
"I know, I am curious, I won't go alone, you know how shy I am. I won't mind if you are holding my hand"
"Baby"  I laughed at him
"I can not help it if I am shy!!"
"We don't need to get changed, its casual wear - no bouncers on the door either"
"I'll just wash these plates then tidy myself up"
"You look find as you are!!"
I laughed and made my way into the bedroom to use the mirror.
Tiber came in and hugged me - he surprised me, not the usual friendly hug that he would usually give me, this time it was quite amorous!!!
"Whats up - thats not like you!!" I said pulling away from him
"I just needed a hug - I've been a bid down lately"
"Why - where is your boyfriend today anyway??"
"He is out with "so called mates" - we are not really getting on too well!!"
"I am sorry - you should have said!!" how had I not noticed he was miserable
"Oh, its not worth talking about really!!"
"You sure - I don't mind!!"
"He is not worth wasting a good night for!!  come on you ready??"
But I could see his mood had drastically changed
He put on a brave face, painted a smile on his face and we set off, Tiber drove us.  It seems he was just as troubled as I was at the moment.  I realised we must have both been too busy thinking over our own problems on our journey because we actually went in silence, neither of us speaking till we arrived outside the new club.
"Are you sure you would not rather sit here and talk a while"
"No don't worry, Ill work it out!! Come on lets go inside"
We walked in and it was pretty quiet, I could only see a few people other than the people who were obviously working there.
"It will probably liven up a little later - I'll get us a drink"
"I am driving remember" he said "Just juice for me"
We sat down at the bar
"Actually don't order me anything Faith, I don't think I can do this tonight - I am Sorry!!!"
"Come on baby, its not like there is a crowd in here"  I thought he was nervous because of how shy he gets.
"I am sorry Faith, I need to get out of here - do you want a lift home"
"No I am fine, I am here now, unless you want me to come with you!!"
"NO!!!!  You stay - have fun - I will phone you tommorrow"
With that he was gone.
Well this is just great!!!!!  Peachy!!!
"A round of drinks for whoever is in here"  I shouted at the barman
"You are the only person here at the moment"
"Just do a tray full - Ill drink them all!!"
The way I was feeling right now - I probably would do too!!!
I sat their listening to the music, drinking and watching the barman throwing bottles around.  All the time I was stewing thing around in my head - Dean and now Tiber.  Not really sure how long I had been there so lost in my thoughts.
"Hiya Faith you having fun??"
I swung round on my bar stool and noticed my Uncle Ethan standing there alone
"You a sad sack like me all alone??"
"I am meeting Sugar here when she gets out of work"
"Nice!" What else could I say
I got up off the stool, my legs felt a little wobbly - how many had I drunk and what was it?  Suddenly I felt brave!!
"Ethan, can I ask you something??" I said  "Your Uncle Dean"
"What about him ??" I watched his eyebrows raise
"Why does nobody like him - I do"  I wobbled
"Faith are you drunk??" he asked grabbing me
"I dont know - am I??"  I think I must be.  Everything went black.  I passed out.
I don't know how I got home, but I woke up in the hallway sleeping it off on the sofa
I always wandered why a sofa had been placed in the hall.  Its suddenly had a purpose - to throw drunks onto!!!  I laughed - Ouch - my head hurt!!
I must have drifted back off to sleep, because I heard  a commotion, then Mom and Dad talking but I just lay there, eyes closed and listened.
"Stop doing that - wipe that off your phone now - or I will be dismissing you"
"Sorry!!" I heard a voice I was not familiar with.
"Damn maids, why do we have them here, they never do a damn thing anyway!!!"
"Don't you think she should be awake by now" My Mom said
"Depends on how much she drank doesn't it - she has shocked me more than anything"   I heard Dad say.
"I know she is usually so sensible - and how lucky Ethan was there, I dread to think what would have happened to her, if he had not been there to bring her home"
"Its not her getting drunk that bothers me - we all do it - its Dean - where does he come into all this?"
"I don't have a clue"
"What was it she said to Ethan again -  
"Your Uncle Dean - Why does nobody like him - I do""
"I think so"
"Well she must know him - I am going to see him - I am having it out with him"
"Edwin - No - just leave it - Please!!!!!"
"No! - it is bad enough he has had his slimmy hands all over my mother - he touches Faith I WILL kill him!!"
"Don't be stupid - they are related they can't!!"
I don't know if it went quiet then or if I drifted back off to sleep but my ringing phone woke me up
"Faith - its Dean - are you alone" he said
"Yes"
"Are you ok??"  he asked
"Yes"
"Look - your dads on his way home, he is not well please, when the coast is clear later come round and see me please - I want to see you are ok!!"
"But I dont know where you live"
"Next door" he said
"NEXT DOOR!!!!!!!!!!" That definitely woke me up!!!
"Yes"  he laughed  "the house at the bottom of the hill - see you later"
click, he was gone
Next door - had I really been that blind??!!!

-----------------------------------------------
Chapter 65
-----------------------------------------------





2 comments:

  1. Wow, so dramatic! Lots of intrigue going on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear... This doesn't sound good. Edwin needs to learn to control his temper.

    ReplyDelete