Tuesday 21 December 2010

Quest for Life - part 2 - Just Wishes - Gen 5

I could not stop thinking about what my Dad had said.  If he couldn't find a way to bring mom back he was going to join her.  How am I ever going to sort out this mess - how am I going to convince my Dad not to do anything stupid and how much time did I have - how was I going to keep stalling him - this was just plain stupid???
There is only one person I can think that might be able to help in any way and that's my geaky brother, Dean.  Dean is on his way to being a mad scientist - if a scientist doesn't have an answer to this problem, then maybe nobody would!!  Bonoffee let me in, Dean was busy working away at the computer.
"Hiya bro"
"Don't bro me - What do you want??
"Sorry Dean - I haven't come here for a fight - this is important"
"Has Lilac finally come to her senses" he sniggered
"STOP!!!  Its about Dad " I yelled at him
"What about Dad?"
"Hes ....... got some crazy notion in his head, and if we dont help him and it doesnt work he is on about killing himself - so I am not hear to banter with you this is serious - I don't know what to do!!!!!"
"He's WHAT??!!"
I had to explain to him about moms ghost and what I had seen mom and dad doing, and all about what dad had told me.  At first I think he must have thought I was having him on, but as I stood there trying to explain everything to him, I could see by his face, he was starting to take me seriously
"There is one thing he can do to shorten his lifespan without killing himself"
"That's not going to help is it - did you not hear what I said - either we change mom from ghost to living again, or dad says he is going to join her."
"We have at the lab a cure for vampirism - did you know vampires can be cured??!!"
I then became angry "Did you know about this before I turned Lilac??"
"I might have done" he smirked
"AAAAWWWWWW you make me so angry ......... 
you are such a .........!!"
"Now, Now, calm down - you should be thanking me I did you a favour"
"We WILL talk about this another time - DAD REMEMBER - I need to sort Dad out before he does something stupid!!"
"Come on - you are supposed to be a genius - a geeky scientist - is it possible??"
"Possible to resurrect the dead - maybe"
"Well is it or isn't it - come on Dean, you don't seam to be taking this seriously at all!!"
"Look - I am thinking - I read something a while back in some old highly confidential case notes in the lab that I should not have been reading.  I need to go and try and sneak a look at them again"
"What were these case notes about?"
"Experimental trials on controllable and resurecting ghosts"  he said "There is one thing I know you can do for definate - though"
"What?" I asked hopefully
"I can take mom's grave to the lab and bring her back controllable"
"and what does that mean exactly"
"The ghost will basically live a normal life like us, eating, sleeping, bathing, working, even have babies, but the body stays in ghost state"
"From what Dad says - shes doing most of that anyway on her own - can you believe they even - wahoo"  I shuddered "But I suppose it could be an option he might think about - its better than nothing!!"
"Hang on - did you just tell me they ......... wahoo??"
"Yes" I said looking at the floor
"Wow - disgusting - too much information!!!"  I watched Dean shudder too!!
"Ever heard of a lifeplant" Dean asked me
"Only from learning the recipe for Ambrosia"
"Ha! your not so dumb then are you" he laughed
"What .....??!!" I was confused
"Ambrosia - how on earth did you find the recipie for that??"
"Eeerr ... a book I bought from the bookstore I think - why?"
"I am not 100% sure, but this is why I need to look at those case notes again, but I am sure they were feeding the ghosts Ambrosia - I just never got as far as reading the results - whether the experiment worked or not."
"Deathfish - where do they come from?"
"Why Deathfish??" Dean asked
"That's another ingredient you need to make Ambrosia - Lifefruit and Deathfish."
"Deathfish are very hard to catch - even the best Anglers struggle to catch them"
"But where can they be caught in Wishey Bay??"
"Actually I only know one place where they can be caught off hand"
"Where?" I asked
"Wishacy Valley - the cemetery - you know the pond by the mausoleum"
"Typical!!!  Yeah, I remember the place just about"
"Don't get doing anything silly until I say so - I need to make sure it works first, we don't want to go creating a monster now do we"
"Like it is going to be easy to find lifefriut and deathfish - anyway - I don't know where to start!!!"
"I'm coming back with you - I think I need to talk to Dad, don't you!!"
"Well don't get giving him any false hopes till we are certain - I think he is already unhinged and I am the one who has to live with him and deal with him - its alright for you!!"
So, Dean came home with me - and Melissa came along too as she was just back from school.
"Hi Uncle Dean" Edwin was the first to greet him when we got back
"Well, look at you - all grown up - hey Damen, hes grown up to look just like me - ha! - I bet you love that don't you!! Good job he doesn't have pink skin!!" Dean started to laugh hysterically
"Shut up you fool!!!"
If only Dean knew how much Edwin was like him, he would play on it forever, out of all my sons, Edwin was the one I got on with the least - I always struggle to get past the fact he is so like Dean in more ways than one, and I hated and loved Dean at the same time!!
"Haaaaaa - that's made my day"
"Grow up Dean!!"
Edwin looked very confused and wandered away
"Don't you boys EVER stop bickering??!!"  Dad snapped
"NO!" "NO!" We both said at the same time
"Well its about time you both grew up - none of your children act so childishly, yet you two both still do!!"
"Hey Dad, can we go somewhere and talk"
Later I found Dean and Lilac in the kitchen deep in conversation
My stomach turned - it was still so obvious that Dean was in love with Lilac.   I hated my brother being anywhere near her.
"How is Bonoffee - I havent seen her for ages?" Lilac asked him
"Ok, I think, to be honest, we are not getting along very well at the moment"
"Oh I'm sorry!! Lilac said
"Don't be, just one of those things - I obviously married the wrong woman - you and Damen still ok??"
Is it just me or was he being blatantly obvious with it
"Yes, great, couldn't be better!!" she smiled at him
"Good I am glad at least somebody is happy!!" Dean looked to the floor, kicking his foot about and looking deep in thought and awkward.
I was thinking - I needed help with my mission of finding lifefruit and deathfish, I needed to enlist one of the boys help - but which one, and how to go about it without telling them exactly what I was up to.  Then again, was it not better to tell them, after all if this craziness came together and worked, I am going to have to explain how their grandmother has been resurrected, its not like she can be hidden from them.  But I doubt very much this craziness will pull off - why was I even considering trying to get the ingredients to make Ambrosia with the slim hope i can resurrect my mom to stop my dad from joining her.  I seriously must be mad!!!!
Then I remembered, Edwin has seen dad and mom's ghost together once, maybe he would be the best one to talk to about it first.
"Edwin -  I need a word" I called to him
"Ohhhhh, What now, I've taken out the trash, I've done my homework  - it will have to wait -  I'm busy" he snapped at me
"Heeey - what's wrong with you, don't talk to me like that again young man" I was shocked at the way he had spoken to me "What is the matter with you anyway"
"Girls, that's what - Mallow is mad with me"
"Why?"
"Because I asked her to be my girlfriend and when she told her sister Sugar she went off on one, because I kissed her first - now Sugar and Mallow are mad at me"
"Let me get this straight, you kissed Sugar, then you asked Mallow to be your girlfriend?" I couldn't help but laugh
"Its not funny - I kissed Sugar before I met Mallow, have you seen Mallow she is hot - and now she won't talk to me!!"
"Well son, only you can sort this one out"
"That's what I've been trying to do - but she won't see me and I need to talk to her before Alyson does at school tommorrow"
"What has Alyson got to do with this?" I asked
"I kissed her too"
"I think you and me need to sit down and have a serious chat young man!!!"
The other stuff could wait till later, I think I needed to talk to him about his hormones first!!
"Now hopefully you have your hormones in check, for a while at least  - there is something important,  I need to talk to you about"
"What?" he asked
"I need your help with something, that's a little delicate so what I am going to tell you is between, me you, your grandad and Uncle Dean, for the time being, so you have to promise for now at least you won't say anything to your sister or brothers, and especially not your mom"
"Ok - what is it"
So I explained to him everythng, it helped with him having seen moms ghost and dad together.
"I think you are totally bonkers - but - just how am I supposed to help exactly??" he asked
"I need you to brush up on your gardening and fishing skills, and help me figure out where we can get lifefruit seeds from and where we can catch deathfish from"
"Lifefruit and deathfish - I've never heard of either of those" he said
"No I know, thats why it is going to be hard getting hold of them!!"
First we started hunting for seeds, we brought all the ones back we could find and planted what we could.  During the sunlight hours, when i couldn't go out, Edwin looked after the garden.
I did as much gardening and reading up on gardening as I could
While Edwin did as much fishing as he could - this was not going to be an easy task!!
with Dad becoming increasingly restless, I felt like we were racing with time

------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment